You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can inspect, as well as a handful of things you can do, to stay ready and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this happens, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the experts at Willco Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating Inc. a call at 862-345-6896 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.